Mitch's Blog 7.0

Mitch's Blog

 

Sunday, July 17, 2005

In Recovery

So now that my cheeks aren’t as large as a chipmunk who's storing nuts for the winter, I don’t have a fever, and I’m not hopped up on Vicodin, I thought it would be a good time to post.

Thursday’s operation to remove my wisdom teeth went well. The laughing gas I got was unlike anything else I had experienced before and made the approximately hour-long operation seem like it took about five minutes. I basically felt like I was in a state between being completely awake and being completely asleep; it was really weird. When the laughing gas was turned down to a low level, I could hear everything that was going on, even the strange sound of my teeth being drilled apart and then ripped out. The laughing gas made me not have the slightest care about anything that was happening, though; for all I cared, I would have been just fine having my arm amputated.

Friday really wasn’t a good day. When I wasn’t sleeping – which was only really a few hours out of the whole day – I was holding packets of ice up to my swollen cheeks and trying to survive on a diet of Jell-O, pudding, and yoghurt while doing nothing but spending time in bed. Yesterday was a bit better, since the agitated muscles around my jaw finally loosed up and a bit and I was able to open and close my mouth a little, meaning that I could actually bite down and chew food like soft noodles and really soft bread. Instead of applying only ice to my cheeks, I was also able to switch to using hot packs, and that made me feel a little better.

My mouth today is much improved. The swelling in my cheeks has gone down considerably and I can open and close my mouth almost as much as normal. The teeth next to where my wisdom teeth were still hurt when I bite down on them, so eating really hard and chewy stuff is still out of the question. Still, I have managed to eat some "real" food today, such as a small hamburger. I’m also feeling well enough to sit up and type this entry, so that’s a good thing. All in all, if no infections show up, I should be all healed up sometime this week.

I see Parker tagged me, so here goes:
1) Total Number of Books I own: I pretty much have two big bookshelves full of books. I don’t feel like counting how many are on them, though, so I’ll estimate the number to be about 70 or 80. One shelf is full of nothing but school books, including AP review books, an AP U.S. History textbook, and various other textbooks I scored from La Shomb. I love looking at various almanacs, so another shelf has only these types of books, such as the 2005 World Almanac and the Encyclopedia of TV Game Shows

2) Last Book I Bought: Burlington Northern Adventures: Railroading in the Days of the Caboose by William J. Brotherton. Click on the link to read a description.

3) Last Book I Read: Flood Stage And Rising by Jane Varley. Click on the link to read a description.

4) Books That Mean A Lot to me: Well all my books mean a lot to me; I mean, I would be saddened to lose them to fire or flood or something. Some of my books are truly irreplaceable, however, such as a couple of unintentionally funny health and anatomy textbooks from the 1890s I got at a library book sale a few years ago.

5) "TAG" 5 ppl. who basically MUST post this on their blog… Although a lot of people have already answered this, I see Andrew Mehr hasn’t (probably since he’s in Colorado) and neither has Kayla Wallin nor the girls over at “That’s So German!!!” So there, that’s 5 people.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear your surgery went better than expected, too bad about the painful recovery. Hope you are feeling better now. d.

Mon Jul 18, 12:38:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that things are gong well. I did want to ask you a Q thoe. Have you even been to the Depot in Duluth... I had compleatly forgotten about it until I drove past it while there... I haven't been there since I was little, however I do remeber that it was absolutly fascinating... You should go if you haven't... Also, I was wondering if maybe you had any ideas of what I could possibly do a presentation on once I get to Spain. I was thinking about telling about the basic stuff in the Brainerd Lakes Area, and then telling about the Native Americans... I really don't know what else. Do you think that's good enough?

Have a gorgeous day!

Mon Jul 18, 06:53:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Mitch said...

Yes, my parents took me to the depot many years ago, I think when I was around 6 or 7. I really enjoyed it, and probably should visit again sometime. Not only do they have an extensive museum collection, but also a first-rate passenger service that runs along Lake Superior north and south of Duluth. Something very smart that the musuem did in conjunction with the city of Duluth earlier this year was test out the possibility of having a daily passanger train available for workers during the morning and evening rush hours. The musuem realized that it already had the neccessary tracks in place as well as an 80-seat passenger car in its collection and used both for a weeklong trial run. From what I understand, ridership was adequate and public support for the idea was very high. If all goes well, Duluth, in another year or so, may become the second city in Minnesota to have passenger rail.

As for your presentation, talking (briefly) about the history of the area, including Native Americans and the establishment of Crow Wing would be good. I'd take as many pictures along as I could, just because they go so far in telling a story and letting people get a glimpse into what a particular place looks like.

Thu Jul 21, 05:28:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard something about that.

Mon Jul 25, 07:49:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Previous Posts

Meine Weisheit Wird Verloren Werden
Welcome to 6.0
Celebrate With Wallpaper
My AP Post
This Year's Garden
Part 2 of Last Week's Adventure
My Late Week Adventure
An Update With Warrior Updates
Graduation
AP Tests (Continued)

Archives

March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
November 2007
December 2007
February 2008
March 2008
March 2012

Current Weather

Click for Brainerd, Minnesota Forecast Click for Grand Forks, North Dakota Forecast

Weather Station

Blogroll

Google Search

Google

Answers

Minnesota Counties

Minnesota Counties I've Visited

North Dakota Counties

North Dakota Counties I've Visited

Links

Subscribe to Mitch's Blog 

Through RSS
Click here to subscribe to Mitch's Blog through RSS!
Add to My 

Yahoo!
Add to Google

Free Image Hosting at Imageshack.us

Mitch's Blog Copyright 2001-2012 Mitch Wahlsten -- All Rights Reserved
The thoughts and opinions expressed are those of Mitch Wahlsten and the participants
Mitch's Blog began on December 23, 2001