Mitch's Blog 7.0

Mitch's Blog

 

Monday, August 22, 2005

I'm in Grand Forks

So, I’m writing from college at UND right now. I moved into my dorm on Friday, which, “officially,” was the earliest that students could begin occupying their rooms. I say officially because anybody who was willing to pay a fee had the opportunity to move in either on Wednesday or Thursday.

Anyway, I’m currently getting myself situated into my room on the top floor of Fulton Hall. My room faces north, meaning that it will more than likely get cold during the winter. The view isn’t exactly what I would have wanted, but, I suppose you could say it isn’t that bad either. I look into a good sized courtyard formed by the Fulton, Johnston, and Smith residence halls. I can see a tree – I believe it’s an oak, although it could be a cottonwood since those things grow like dandelions around here – as well as some sidewalks and a sand volleyball court.

Classes didn’t start until 4 PM this afternoon, but, even then, that didn’t concern me since I don’t have any classes after 4 on Mondays. However, I will have 3 classes tomorrow: Honors 101 (“inquiry into the humanities”), German II, and Calc II. Although I’ll have to walk all over campus to get to these classes, I do have an hour break between all of them that I can utilize to eat lunch or something.

Speaking of classes, I went over to the bookstore yesterday and on Saturday to pick up all the books I’ll need. The bill ended up being a little less than $400, largely due to the fact that my chemistry book cost $107 (for a used version, no less) and that I needed to get 7 books/novels for my honors class.

And these 7 books are, in alphabetical order:
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
The Laramie Project by Moisés Kaufman
Maus by Art Spiegelman
The Partly Cloudy Patriot by Sarah Vowell
The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien
What Does it all Mean? by Thomas Nagel

I’m pretty happy to see two books on that list that I am familiar with. If we don’t read The Great Gatsby first, I’m likely to grab my papers and journal, which I have saved, along with pretty much everything else from high school I found important (including the “Simone ist am klügsten” sign from the former German room), from Wanniger’s pre-AP English class the next time I go home. I should probably also fetch my thoroughly highlighted and marked-up The Great Gatbsy from said class as well.

I know that Niemi in last year’s AP English Language class also exposed us to some exerpts from The Things They Carried, so, when I get around to it, I’ll probably look through my essay and multiple choice folders that I coincidently decided to bring with me to college. If I don’t find anything in those, I could always dig through some boxes at home to find the folder with all the handouts from the class.

That’s all for now; I’ll keep everybody updated whenever I get around to doing so.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs. Niemi also talked about the Handmaids Tale. I tried to find a copy of it at the library, however didn't succeed. Tja.

What's your room mate like. Or are you lucky and don't have one.

Hope you're enjoying your studies.

Kat

Thu Aug 25, 10:42:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How is it going? sw

Thu Aug 25, 12:05:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Mitch said...

I do, indeed, have a roomate, and so far everything has worked out well. He's from Somerset, Wisconsin and is overall a very nice guy.

Sat Aug 27, 02:54:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Previous Posts

Day 7 Summary
Day 6 Summary
Day 5 Summary
Day 4 Summary
Day 3 Summary
Day 2 Summary
Day 1 Summary
I'm Back
Corn And Other Matters
In Recovery

Archives

March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
November 2007
December 2007
February 2008
March 2008
March 2012

Current Weather

Click for Brainerd, Minnesota Forecast Click for Grand Forks, North Dakota Forecast

Weather Station

Blogroll

Google Search

Google

Answers

Minnesota Counties

Minnesota Counties I've Visited

North Dakota Counties

North Dakota Counties I've Visited

Links

Subscribe to Mitch's Blog 

Through RSS
Click here to subscribe to Mitch's Blog through RSS!
Add to My 

Yahoo!
Add to Google

Free Image Hosting at Imageshack.us

Mitch's Blog Copyright 2001-2012 Mitch Wahlsten -- All Rights Reserved
The thoughts and opinions expressed are those of Mitch Wahlsten and the participants
Mitch's Blog began on December 23, 2001