Mitch's Blog 7.0

Mitch's Blog

 

Friday, November 04, 2005

Remember Oates?

I wanted to provide a quick update to basically say that I don’t have much to write about. Unless you want to note the fact that I picked up volume two of the fifth edition of Stephen B. Oates’ Portrait of America from the "free books" table outside the History Department’s office on Tuesday, not much has been going on. With that said, I suppose you may have noticed that a lot of the pictures on this blog suddenly and mysteriously disappeared about a week or so ago. This incident was out of my control, as it happened due to the fact that Yahoo – without warning – decided to shut down my account. The official reason I was given was that I had violated some part of Yahoo’s Terms of Service, although I’m still not positive that I know exactly what part of the contract I violated, and nobody at Yahoo has yet decided to let me know. Needless to say, I had to suffer without any sort of Yahoo services for the better part of a week as I waited for customer service to handle my appeal to try to get my account back to normal. I finally did get my account back on Thursday afternoon, but since Yahoo has still not sent me an email telling me what’s going on, I have no idea whether access to my account is merely temporary.

I still have some pictures to share from a long, long time ago and I will probably make an attempt to upload them sometime later today or on Saturday. I have sort of a glut of photos right now that I’ve been meaning to share for a while, but I just haven’t gotten around to doing so. Speaking of pictures, I got an early birthday present when I went home last week – a Canon Digital Rebel XT. As far as I’m concerned, I couldn’t have selected a better camera. The Digital Rebel XT, also known as the Canon EOS 350D, is a professional-grade 8 megapixel beauty. The lens I decided to pick out was the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, a nice standard zoom lens that can handle both wide angle and telephoto shots with ease. Of course, since the Rebel XT is an SLR camera, I can always upgrade to any one of the many SLR lenses in the future.

Meanwhile, it’s the time of year here at UND to begin registering for spring classes. Whereas the official date to begin signing up for courses is sometime in the middle of November, I’ll be able to sign up next week. Early registration is one of the benefits of being in the honors program. Here are the classes I’m considering taking:
Chemistry 222 – Fundamentals of Chemical Analysis
Chemical Engineering 102 – Introduction to Chemical Engineering
Mathematics 166 – Calculus III
German 202 – Second Semester German II
Honors 293 – Evolution & Society

My primary dilemma is the fact that I don’t know whether I should follow the track to major in chemistry or the track to major in chemical engineering. Hopefully the introduction to chemical engineering course will give me more answers. In any event, the university recommends that I take Chemistry 116 (Introduction to Organic and Biochemistry) if I intend to major in chemistry or Physics 251 (University Physics) if I intend to major in chemical engineering. I’ve just decided to be difficult, however, and not take either class next semester. Neither one is an absolute necessity for me to take my freshman year anyway, plus I don’t have any room in my schedule to handle another class.

This was a rather random post.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mitch said...

As for the issue with Yahoo, I've been looking around at other websites and ti seems like quite a few other people recently had their accounts deleted. There may be some sort of virus going around that is getting ahold of Yahoo accounts and using them to send out millions of messages of spam. For security reasons, I try to only use Apple computers in publically shared computer labs, but it's always possible that somebody or something was able to get into my Yahoo account.

The biggest difference between an SLR camera and any other camera is the fact that SLR cameras are made for using multiple different lenses. Actually, if I hadn't bought any lens to go with my Digital Rebel XT, I wouldn't have been able to use it, as there literally was just a gaping hole where the lens goes when I took the camera out of the box. It seems a little strange to have buy a lens to use a new camera, but it actually is a good thing, since Canon provides hundreds of different lenses, one for just about any type of photography. SLR cameras, while expensive to buy new, also tend to last for a long time, since they are made up of two distinct components working together: a camera body and a lens. There are photographers still out there using film SLR cameras manufactured 30 years ago.

Sun Nov 06, 06:00:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Previous Posts

Peter Mansbridge Has A Job Again
I Lived Through Blizzard Zach
It's No Longer Summer
Center of Hostile Debate
A Sunday Entry
My Wednesday Evening
Some Pictures Around Campus
Meine erste Woche
I'm in Grand Forks
Day 7 Summary

Archives

March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
November 2007
December 2007
February 2008
March 2008
March 2012

Current Weather

Click for Brainerd, Minnesota Forecast Click for Grand Forks, North Dakota Forecast

Weather Station

Blogroll

Google Search

Google

Answers

Minnesota Counties

Minnesota Counties I've Visited

North Dakota Counties

North Dakota Counties I've Visited

Links

Subscribe to Mitch's Blog 

Through RSS
Click here to subscribe to Mitch's Blog through RSS!
Add to My 

Yahoo!
Add to Google

Free Image Hosting at Imageshack.us

Mitch's Blog Copyright 2001-2012 Mitch Wahlsten -- All Rights Reserved
The thoughts and opinions expressed are those of Mitch Wahlsten and the participants
Mitch's Blog began on December 23, 2001