Mitch's Blog 7.0

Mitch's Blog

 

Sunday, February 19, 2006

February Chill

It’s actually not all that uncommon for a warmer-than-average month to be followed by a colder-than-average month. It’s all part of nature’s way of balancing everything out.

Though February in Minnesota has not been as cold as January was warm, the weather has taken on a more “normal” appearance, drastically differentiating itself from January. In Brainerd, February has had almost exactly normal temperatures.

In Grand Forks’ case, however, February has so far been quite cold; whereas January was 16 degrees above normal, February has so far been 7 degrees below normal. Case in point, the temperatures of the last few days:

Tuesday, February 14 – High 33°F, Low -18°F
Wednesday, February 15 – High 8°F, Low -21°F
Thursday, February 16 – High -5°F, Low -23°F
Friday, February 17 – High -10°F, Low -26°F
Saturday, February 18- High 10°F, Low -20°F

Friday, with its high of -10°F, was by far the coldest day I’ve experienced in Grand Forks since moving here. The cold temperatures were accompanied by very strong winds that produced very cold wind chills – probably some of the coldest I’ve ever been outside in. All through Thursday afternoon and night the winds howled from the northwest at about 20-30 mph. Combined with the air temperatures that were already in the teens below zero, the entire Red River Valley experienced dangerous wind chills in the -40°F to -60°F range. By Friday, the winds had lifted somewhat, but, still, when I went out at 10AM, the air temperature was -21°F, the wind was blowing from the west at 15 mph, and the wind chill was -46°F. It was thrilling for me to finally be able to experience some true North Dakota winter chilliness.

Here are some pictures I took:
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
When the coldest of the cold air arrived in Grand Forks, it started to snow and freezig fog began to form. In this picture, the air temperature was -9°F and the wind chill was -38°F.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
With the wind blowing right in my face in this photo, it was a really cold walk back to my dorm. Shortly after I took this photo (with my old camera), the gear to make the lens zoom in and out froze up. I had to wait until it warmed back up to room temperature for it to work correctly again.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
I really like how the matter that comes spewing out of smokestacks looks in really cold weather. Here, you can see the water vapor coming out of the steam plant at 10:30 PM. The air temperature when I took this photo was -16°F; the wind chill was -41°F (or -41°C). Incidentally, after I took this photo, I tried to go into an academic hall next door to warm up. Unfortunately, all of the doors were locked. Even more unfortunate, however, was the fact that I inadvertently took my glove off to open the door and ended up touching a very cold aluminum handle. My fingers immediately became numb, painful, and frozen feeling. I had to rush over to the one place I knew was open – the library – to warm them up. Luckily, it didn’t take all that long for the feeling to return, and I’m pleased to say I didn’t suffer any damage.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Here is another picture of the cloud of steam, but this time you can see the full moon that was outside at the time. At 11:30 PM when this photo was taken, the air temperature was -18°F, while the wind chill was -44°F.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
The temperature sensor I have outside my window registered -22°F sometime on Friday morning.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
If your window isn't shut during extremely cold weather, the water pipes tend to freeze.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I'm a Minnesotan, you have no idea how odd it is for me to hear about the -40+ windshield temps. This is hard to expalain, but it's so odd to imagine myself getting into a frozen car in the morning and sujecting myself to such freezing temperatures. I also remeber how I was constantly cold during the winter and the only time I was warm was when I was snuggled in my bed. Now that I'm here, in low 50-60 degree temps, and think it's rather cool when it dips in the low 50's or high 40's(and I wear my pea coat when it's in the 50's) and I don't walk around constantly cold, etc. etc. I wonder to myself how I will manage when I go back and experience a cold winter again... I know I will, it's just, getting into a frozen car is painful... gosh, I've become so weak. hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Mon Feb 20, 03:47:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I have to decide which picture I want to use as the computer background. I really like the one with the full moon.

Mon Feb 20, 03:55:00 PM CST  
Blogger Mitch said...

I would imagine I would be the same way if I had gotten used to living in such a warmer climate over the past 6 months or so. It's always amazing how different the same temperature can feel in different times of the year if you've become accustomed to either warm or cold for a period of time. Compare how warm the first 40°F high in March feels to how cold the first 40°F high in October feels.

Mon Feb 20, 05:28:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know, I've always been amused by it as well.

Tue Feb 21, 08:33:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Previous Posts

Record January 2006
Snowed In
Like Another Country
In All Thy Son's Command
My Snowshoes and I
2006
Happy Fourth
Wallpaper: A Decorative Paper for the Walls of Rooms
Eleven Pipers Piping
Der Fünfundzwanzigste November

Archives

March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
November 2007
December 2007
February 2008
March 2008
March 2012

Current Weather

Click for Brainerd, Minnesota Forecast Click for Grand Forks, North Dakota Forecast

Weather Station

Blogroll

Google Search

Google

Answers

Minnesota Counties

Minnesota Counties I've Visited

North Dakota Counties

North Dakota Counties I've Visited

Links

Subscribe to Mitch's Blog 

Through RSS
Click here to subscribe to Mitch's Blog through RSS!
Add to My 

Yahoo!
Add to Google

Free Image Hosting at Imageshack.us

Mitch's Blog Copyright 2001-2012 Mitch Wahlsten -- All Rights Reserved
The thoughts and opinions expressed are those of Mitch Wahlsten and the participants
Mitch's Blog began on December 23, 2001